Monday, July 11, 2011

Mission Declutter...so far

Mission Declutter started in the Faust household two weeks ago, and it has yielded great results so far!  I have to say that I've been a sentimental packrat all of my life, and I married one too.  This means that we have a lot of stuff hanging around because we may want to one day look at it and remember some day or event in our distant past.  Makes sense, huh???  Well it did to me for a long time, but not anymore.  I can't even count the number of  ticket stubs, birthday cards, scraps of paper, pictures of people I haven't spoken with in fifteen years, that I have toted around with me move after move.

I read an article recently that really opened my eyes to the value in letting go of stuff.  I have done some reflecting, and I can't figure out why I have kept some of the things that I have.  Yes, I will still keep important mementos that I want to share with my children and grandchildren, but it will be a select few that really have meaning.

So far, we have filled a few trash bags, given a good bit to Goodwill, stored several bags of clothes, a baby swing and a co-sleeper at my mother-in-laws until the next little one comes, and I've made a couple hundred bucks on ebay and craigslist.  Not bad!  I will post an update as Mission Declutter progresses!

1 comment:

  1. Great post and love the article! We are in a similar position and it seems much easier in a tiny apartment because there is just no where to put it! However, I already have 5 huge bags of baby clothes just in case we have another girl/ but eroding my space!!!

    ReplyDelete