Monday, May 16, 2011

Salad fixins from the CSA!



Sean and I typically eat a Greek style salad when we fix salad at home.  It usually contains some combination of Romaine lettuce, kalamata olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, artichoke hearts, feta cheese, and red onion (depending on what we have on hand).

Now that the Cooper-Young Community Farmers Market has started their second season, I am picking up farm-fresh veggies as part of the CSA I am sharing with my friend, Nicole.  I plan on writing about the CSA in my next post for those of you who are interested in community-supported agriculture.

Needless to say, Greek salads will be back in the winter, but for now, we are using what comes in our weekly share.  This week I topped some of the fresh lettuce with radishes and raw spring peas.  I never knew that I liked peas, but these were amazing!  They were crunchy and sweet, and they were a great addition to a salad.

Here are the salads before we chowed down (I added cucumber and feta, the only two things that did not come from the CSA)!

2011-05-15 20.08.39.jpg



3 comments:

  1. I love feta and kalamata olives! LOVE IT! That salad is my favorite!!!! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say I am so glad winter is over I could dance? If I had to see one more butternut squash in my CSA box, I was going to hurl.
    (And I LOVE root veggies. But by Spring, I'm OVER THEM!)

    OH and speaking of peas, yesterday I made quinoa with peas and carrots. It sounds vile (at least, to me it does) but it came out AWESOME! The kids are going nutty for the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh cathy I wish I could stomach quinoa..... I love me some butternut squash. ;) mmmm I don't do CSA in the winter....I just eat crap. :) hahahaha

    ReplyDelete