Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Late Night Emergency Room Trip

First of all, it was for me, not the baby!  Thank goodness!  Around 10:00 PM, I sent Sean to Walgreens to talk to the pharmacist about the stomach pain I was having and to see what OTC medicine I could take while breastfeeding.  A few minutes after he left, I decided to try a banana and a glass of milk.  After taking a couple of bites, I noticed that I was wheezing.  I have asthma, but it very rarely flares up.  I took two puffs out of my Albuterol inhaler, and my breathing got better.  At this point though, the weirdness really started.  First, my hands itched uncontrollably.  I was scratching and referring to Dr. Google to see what could possibly be causing the insane itching.  I decided I better grab the baby and go upstairs to get my phone charger, since a dead phone would be of no use if I needed to call Sean or 911!

By the time I got back downstairs, welps were moving up my arms, and I was getting a fat lip.  I have no known allergies, and I began to panic a bit since I was home alone with G.  I called Sean and told him to get home because I had a much bigger problem than a stomach ache.  When he arrived, we loaded the baby up and headed to the emergency room.  The scene in the waiting room was a sight to behold.  The highlight was a woman moaning over and over that she was in so much pain, and everyone ignored her.  That inspired a lot of confidence when I walked in the door, let me tell you!

Much to my relief, they took me back right away and started an IV line.  I got a shot of epinephrine and then Benadryl, Prednisone, and Pepcid in my IV.  The swelling and redness began to go away almost immediately.    People kept asking me if I had a latex allergy because apparently people who are allergic to latex are usually allergic to bananas, too??   I told them that I was unaware of any allergies, and I had no idea what caused it.  Luckily, I am doing Weight Watchers, so I have a list of everything I consumed yesterday.  In the end, everything was fine, and I was treated kindly by the staff.

Whew...what a scary night!

2 comments:

  1. Im so sorry...So what was the issue? You are allergic to bananas? So scary...Wanna do lunch this week? I will have my nieces all week next week. :) And I will make sure I know what day of the week it is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no ellen! i am so sorry! :( that is scary!

    ReplyDelete